Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What horrible weather can do.

I haven't written for a week or two...sorry.. however, at this late hour I feel that I have just had the best French toast in the entire world after many, many experiments. So this after noon, after classes my roommate and I were searching for something to do. Going outside was completely out of the question...if you haven't noticed, it's snowing a ridiculous amount and having the wind blow it in you face and right through every article of clothing. Not my type of grand adventure if you ask me. People who are able to live in Utah have my utmost respect now. And yes, us southern California kids are a bunch of wusses when it comes to the cold. 75 and we need a jacket haha.

Ok so since the weather was...not cooperating, we decided to practice making the best French toast in the entire world. We are cooking our famous omelets and now famous French toast for the girls in or ward Thursday night and we had to get it perfect. A feet which we knew we could accomplish. We began with the usual batter mixture, then it hit me. I had always seen my grandpa sneak something into the batter, something in a small dark bottle, before stirring it in and saturating the bread. And for all of you that are thinking that my grandpa was sneaking some sort of alcohol into the batter....yeah, not that ha. This is the LDS grandpa. But i was still stumped. So I put aside my pride and called him. After promising that I would get him a Large BYU banner for the secret, he told me. And yes, I shall share. It was Vanilla!!! So we tried it and, it tasted great! But great wasn't enough. I had to come up with a type of powdered topping that was better than powdered sugar. I finally got one right and with the Vanilla, my secret powder and a sweet syrup, my roommate and I have successfully invented the best tasting French toast this earth has ever feasted upon. And feast we did.

Guess when the weather is horrible, it creates opportunities to make amazing new dishes!

3 comments:

Sara said...

I'm quite convinced bad weather is what led to the invention of cream puffs. It's a bizarre process and hardly something someone just stumbled over one evening. Someone spent days experiementing with flour, water, eggs and butter before they hit on the perfect recipe.

kelli said...

I love french toast... have you ever been to Kneader's on Bulldog by Mcdonald's? If not, you have to go ASAP. Their french toast is the most amazing thing ever! In fact, I think I will write my next blog on it...

I think therefore I am said...

Congratulation! you have discovered the secret to great French toast. I agree southern Californians are wusses.