Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Getting my first six pack

So for those who do not know, getting a six pack in volleyball mean being hit with the ball in the face. So, say your friend Bobby hit the ball over the net and hit you in the face, you would in turn, besides being humiliated, owe him a six pack of his favorite soda drink. How does this apply...? Well in my 8 years of playing volleyball, I have never once been hit squarely in the face. Sure, the ball has hit the top of my head, even nicked my neck, but never have I in my life been hit directly in the face. That was until Monday night. Now, I knew that sooner or later I would be hit right smack in the face. Everyone has been hit. I guess I have just put it off. In college....they hit the ball alot harder and faster than the kids did in middle school. Every practice I have been pretty terrified that Ivan Perez would rip one of his 85 mph's at me and knock me out cold. However, I have still avoided one of those. This one and hopefully only time was at my club teams practice. I coach a 17's girls club team, and most of them can barely hit over the net. So, last night at practice I was teaching them how to block. Now...the men's net is set at 8 feet where at the girls is around 7 foot 6 inches. So when I go up to block, my shouldered get completely over the net, along with my neck,...and followed by my face. I decided to start out with a game. Each girl was to hit five balls and hit at least three past me. The very first girl tossed her ball to the setter, the ball was set, I leapt as high as I could, my chest was over the net, we made eye contact, then WHAM!! She hit the ball right into my face. I was shocked. Never had that happened...and yet, I had just been hit in the face. My first six pack. I guess it was better to have it happen then and there, than at practice with the men's team. However, the rest of practice was so much fun. All the girls for some reason had had a rough day at school, and watching their coach get hit in the face was just what they needed to get through the rest of the week.. So tomorrow, I'm brining a six pack of Dr. Pepper to the girl.

Should be a fun rest of the season with these girls haha

7 comments:

Hubble said...

I think I really do learn a new thing everyday. So, what's the worst injury you've seen by someone getting hit in the face?

Sara said...

I know I shouldn't laugh at your pain but...it really was hilarious. Did anything bruise?

alyssa said...

haha i love you and all, but i wish i could have been there. it really does sound funny!!! but i am glad to see that you are doing alright...

Kyle said...

That must have hurt. Hopefully it wasn't a bad omen, that you will get hit by one of the guys later on.

Anonymous said...

BAHAHAHAHAHA I love it...haha

Chelsea said...

Ouch! Well at least it is a cool story right!? How is the face feeling?

drew said...

Have you told the volleyball team yet that you got beat up on by a girl? I bet they would love that...